A lot of you are getting ready for Winter Break but a few of you will start thinking about Summer. The City of Glens Falls Recreation Department is offering a lifeguard training course at Glens Falls High School beginning March 6 and ending March 14. Attendance is mandatory for ALL classes. You will need to bring a bathing suit and a towel. The cost for the class is $220 unless you’re looking to recertify. The cost to recertify is $96.
To be eligible for the lifeguard training course, the participant must be 15 years of age on or before the final session of this course. The participant must successfully complete the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously using these strokes in the following order:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing, and a stabilizing propellant kick.
- 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- 100 yards of either front crawl or breaststroke. This may be a combination of front crawl or breaststroke.
- Starting in the water, perform the following all within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke.
- surface dive seven (7) to ten (10) feet, retrieve a 10-pound object and return to the surface.
- then swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
If you’re interested, download this form: https://www.cityofglensfalls.com/DocumentCenter/View/7307/Lifeguard-Training-Registration-Form-PDF from our website. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call the Recreation Department at (518) 615-0446 or (518) 761-3864.