Affordable Internet Subsidy Available To City Residents
(Glens Falls, NY, March 8, 2022) The City of Glens Falls announced today that it has received confirmation that Internet users in the City and other communities may be eligible for a break on their monthly Internet fees.
President Biden’s Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act passed by the Congress last November created an Affordable Connectivity Program which provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward Internet services for eligible households.
A household is eligible if one member of the household meets at least one of the following criteria:
• Has an income that is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines;
• Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC, or Lifeline;
• Is approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision;
• Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year; or
• Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating broadband provider’s existing low-income program.
What exactly is the 200% of the 2022 Poverty Guidelines required to be income eligible? For instance, it means a single family household with a total income of $27,180, a two family household of $36,620, a three family home of $46,060 and a four person household of $55,500 would be eligible for a subsidy, along with participants in the above programs like SNAP, WIC, SSI, Medicaid and Pell Grants, etc. Larger families would be eligible for an additional benefit.
In a separate program created by President Biden’s Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet purchased through a participating provider.
Those interested should go to ACPBenefit.org to submit an application or print out a mail-in
application. For further information go to fcc.gov/acp or call 877-384-2475.